linkIndex Page

Research Notes

Parish Notes Northumberland

Burradon The Good Shepherd

[Population 1911: incl. with Killingworth]

Indexes Available For This Area


The entrance to the church, which is situated behind the local school, is marked by a large cross. This cross is made of Australian hardwood which was taken from local colliery just after its closure in 1975. It stands therefore as a reminder of the colliery which 'used to be' and of the church which is still with us. The interior shows three tapestries which were originally panels of an altar frontal presented to the church in its very early days. These will be at least 100 years old. [The Newcastle Diocesan Gazetteer (1982), page 18.]

| Top of page | Index Page |

© 1999-2004 NDFHS