Parish Notes Northumberland
[Population 1911: ]
Indexes Available For This Area
St Paul's, Dudley, was built as a mission chapel of Killingworth and dedicated in 1886 by Bishop Wilberforce. The district had been known as Weetslade (vale of the willows) until the Dudley pit, named after the owner's son, opened in 1854 and gave its name to the village. The parish was created in 1970 taking in parts of Killingworth, North Gosforth and Seghill.
Since the closure of the pit in 1977 the parish has become a residential area, most of its workers travelling to Tyneside. [The Newcastle Diocesan Gazetteer (1982), page 21.]
| Top of page | Index Page |
© 1999-2004 NDFHS