Parish Notes Northumberland
[Population 1911: incl. with Corsenside]
Indexes Available For This Area
Perhaps the chief feature of this fine church is its magnificent setting in the Rede Valley just a few yards from the river. It contains some very fine woodwork, including a splendid carved reredos containing the figures of Saints Cuthbert and Oswald. [The Newcastle Diocesan Gazetteer (1982), page 33.]
A painted wooden board inside the porch reads:
Granted £75 AD.1906, TOWARDS
REBUILDING THIS CHURCH UPON
CONDITION THAT ALL THE SITTINGS
ARE FOR THE FREE USE OF THE
PARISHIONERS ACCORDING TO LAW.
The font cover has a dedication:
THIS FONT CANOPY WAS GIVEN BY PARISHIONERS AND FRIENDS IN AFFECTIONATE MEMORY OF THE REVEREND FREDERIC BEAUMONT M.A. RECTOR OF THIS PARISH 1922 TO 1957.
The carved oak pulpit has this dedication:
To the Glory of God and in memory of Elliot Cunliffe Hunter.
Died at Singapore on Good Friday 1906 in the 19th year of his his age.
They that go down to the sea in ships.
The pulpit light has this dedication:
THE PULPIT LIGHT WAS ERECTED
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
IN MEMORY REV. COL. R. ATKINSON
RECTOR 1957-68 & MRS NAYLOR
MOTHER OF THE REV. J. NAYLOR
BY THE P.C.C. & FRIENDS.
The elaborately carved rerodos has detailed likenesses of King Oswald and St Cuthbert and has this dedication:
To the Glory of God and in loving memory of
Alfred Clarence Illingworth Vicar of this Parish 1913-1922
| Top of page | Index Page |
© 1999-2004 NDFHS