Parish Notes Northumberland
[Population 1911: 352]
Indexes Available For This Area
In 1857 the Chapel of Ease of St James, Newton Hall, in the parish of Bywell was constructed after the model of St Bartholomew's Hospital, near Oxford, and enlarged and consecrated in 1873. It is a beautiful example of a traditional church building and is in many ways like a minature cathedral. The windows are notable and were designed by Messrs Clayton and Bell of London.
The depopulation of the countryside has diminished the population of the parish to about 150 souls. The Hunday Farm Museum, which has attacted a great deal of attention, is situated in the parish. [The Newcastle Diocesan Gazetteer (1982), page 39.]
| Top of page | Index Page |
© 1999-2004 NDFHS