linkIndex Page

Research Notes

Parish Notes Northumberland

Longhirst St John the Evangelist

[Population 1911: 336]

Indexes Available For This Area

Longhirst St John. © 2000 NDFHS.


The parish of Longhirst was formed in 1875. Before that date it was part of the parish of Bothal. The church was built in 1876 and the architect was Sir Arthur Blonfield. A tower with a spire is at the north-west corner of the building. The oak chancel screen was carved by parishioners and the Revd. R. Proctor, Vicar from 1885-1916. [The Newcastle Diocesan Gazetteer (1982), page 115.]

| Top of page | Index Page |

© 1999-2004 NDFHS